Department of Mathematics
“Mathematics is the most beautiful and most powerful creation of the human spirit”.
— Stefan Banach
The department of Mathematics started its journey in the year 1996 and since then it has steadily developed into a leading department of teaching at Mankar College. At present, this Department offers B.Sc (Mathematics) degree course under UG program affiliated to University of Burdwan. The general course of B.Sc wasstarted in 1996 and the Honours course for Mathematics was initiated in 2006 .
Our department has been built over the years by faculty members, who have always been exceptionally hard-working, highly dedicated to research and committed to provide cutting edge knowledge. Currently, the department has two full time faculties, one Part-time faculty, two Guest faculties. The faculties of the department are extremely well qualified, and motivated with a strong commitment to teaching and research. The number of faculties in the department compared to class load is adequate and both the existing faculties of the department are duly qualified and competent enough to teach the undergraduate students.
The faculties maintain a warm relation of trustand confidence with the students. Theymotivate and guide the students to participate in various programs related to research, cultural, sports and academics.The faculty members of the department are always enthusiastic to carry out intensive research work in various areas of mathematics and its applications.Students receive regular counseling and career guidance from the faculty members.
The department implemented learner-centered teaching methodologies with judicious blend of lecture-based and experiential learning activities. Further, the information and communication technology ( ICT) based innovative teaching – learning methods have been developed and implemented over the years. Most importantly, the academic environment in our department is highly vibrant that nurtures creativity.
The students are rigorously trained and evaluated on a continuous basis so that they become successful on their future endeavors.Throughout the years, our departmental students have performed consistently well in the university examinations.
Over the years, the department organized seminars, workshops, conferences .The infrastructure and lab facilities are upgraded from time to time and provide adequate opportunities for students to learn and innovate.
The notedalumni of the department working in different fields of the society such as academic and non-academic profession. The department will cultivate an ongoing relationship with its former students, and elicit their support and assistance.The present faculties constantly interact and motivate them for their future endeavors.
“Where today’s students meet tomorrow’s opportunity”
The Mathematics department sharesthe vision of the college of achieving excellence in teaching and research. It hasalways striven to succeed in this endeavor.
The departmental objective is to view mathematics as an engaging field of inquiry, rich in beauty, with powerful applications, and as a discipline with an intriguing history, vibrant present, and promising futurefor the students. The main objectives are :
- To discover, mentor, and nurture mathematically inclined studentsbasis so that they are well prepared to be leaders in whichever field they choose to pursue may it be academia, industry, management or working for a social cause,
- To impart the knowledge of mathematical science and generate mathematical thinking to solve complex engineering problems,
- To provide a supportive and intellectually stimulating environment for the undergraduate students where they can learn mathematics and its applications,
- To encourage and develop the mathematical skills and talents of meritorious students,
- To develop critical thinking and problem solving skills and the ability to communicate ideas effectivelyso that students can appear in IIT JAM, JECA, SSC, PSC, NET, SET, GATE,DRDO, ISRO, IBPS,WBCS, and other competitive examinations confidently,
- To motivate and simulate our young mathematician to develop their knowledge and discipline.
- To attract motivated and talented students to UG programof the Department.
- Academic excellence and integrity
- Outstanding teaching and service
- Integration of teaching, research, and service
- Individual and collective excellence
- Diversity, equity, and social justice
- Collegiality and collaboration